There are several things that you should really do to take care of your laptop to make sure it lasts a long time. The most simple maintenance that requires only a few minutes of your time can significantly increase the life of your laptop and, in return, save you money. With these simple and easy to follow suggestions you are sure to learn how to take care of your laptop like a pro.
- Locking your notebook - This might sound unnecessary, but locking your laptop will keep anyone around you from looking at what you are working on and ensure that anything private stays that way. To lock your laptop, all you have to do is just press the Windows Key + L at the same time. To unlock your laptop, simply press Ctrl + Atl + Del and then enter your password and you will be returned back to where you were previously.
- Vent maintenance - This means you need to check all of the vents on your laptop at least once a week to ensure that they are clear and not blocked. Be sure you do not push anything into the air vents; the safest way to clean these vents typically is using a simple can of air that can be purchased at most computer supply stores.
- Check the fan - If your fan isn't working correctly, you could experience some huge problems with your laptop overheating, which can cause problems with your monitor, memory, or even the hard drive. To avoid this problem, you need to make sure that the fan is working properly. If you are unsure whether the fan is working properly, check the website for the laptop manufacturer. You can frequently find software there to use for testing purposes.
- Keeping lap burn to a minimum - This may seem like a minor detail, but when you experience it you'll notice the significance. In order to help prevent this and ensure your laptop is getting proper airflow, make sure you are using something such as a desk or similar hard surface to hold your laptop anytime you are using it.
- Avoiding soft spots - This is a problem that is quite common for many people. If you're just sitting around on the couch, you might prop your laptop up on a pillow on your lap. This can actually significantly restrict the airflow to fans and vents, causing your laptop to heat up.
- Safely storing your laptop - While the great laptop bags that are sold are wonderful for transporting your laptop, it is very important that you turn your laptop off before you actually put it into the bag. If you do not power it down, you could melt your laptop or potentially catch it on fire.
- Drinks beware - If you are thinking about getting a drink, it is important to make sure that your drink is as far away from your laptop as possible. Drinks and laptops do not mix well under ANY circumstances.
- Avoiding shocks - If you are looking to move your laptop around a bit, you should always make sure that it is on a sturdy surface that will protect it from unexpectedly jostling around. If the laptop is well protected, you can safely move it around, however if the laptop is not stable, you should turn it off before moving it around.
- Humidity is not your friend - You should do your best to protect your laptop from any level of humidity. It can cause damage to the motherboard as well as possible damage to the screen.
- Dust is the enemy of your computer - You should always make sure that your laptop is kept away from dust; this can clog fans and even vents, which will cause your laptop to heat up significantly. To help protect the laptop, it is important to look for a way to protect your computer, such as keeping it on a table or a desk.
*BONUS* Off the floor - There is never ANY reason to leave your laptop on the floor even for a brief moment. While it might seem like a good place for only a moment, it can create problems if you have a pet that decides to use the computer as a chew toy, or if someone accidentally steps on the laptop.
*BONUS* Surge protectors are critical - This can allow you to adequately protect your computer in the event that a power surge occurs, which could damage your computer.
*BONUS* Protect the screen - If you store papers between the screen of your laptop and the keyboard, it is possible to scratch the screen from the paper. This could leave you with quite of a repair bill. Avoid this as much as possible to ensure that your screen is protected.
Learning how to properly care for your laptop is quick and easy. It also will allow your laptop to last much longer. As long as you are willing to take some basic precautions for your laptop, you are going to enjoy a lot of usage. Although we offer 24/7 support service when renting a laptop from us, it is important to note these tips for all laptops!